retouching portfolio: robdicaterino.com
High-end retouching for print, web, and iPad.
Adobe CS5: Photoshop and InDesign.
Wacom pen tablet.
K4 Publishing System.
Print production software: ORIS Hotfolder Manager, Onyx PosterShop, and Fiery.
Creating and streamlining imaging workflows.
Interviewing and testing retouching candidates.
Training and mentoring retouching teams.
American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) 2012 Best Lifestyle Magazine Cover
Martha Stewart Living, December 2011, “Make It a Magical Holiday”
(photograph by Dana Gallagher, retouching by Rob DiCaterino)
Society of Publication Designers (SPD) 2011 Tablet App of the Year
Martha Stewart Living: Boundless Beauty, November 2010
(retouching and animations by Rob DiCaterino)
Association of Educational Publishers (AEP/EdPress) 2007 Distinguished Achievement Award
Scholastic “Winter Animals” poster
(retouching by Rob DiCaterino)
U.S. Retouch Manager
March 2013 – present
- Manage the U.S. retouching studio for Net-A-Porter, Mr. Porter, and The Outnet.
- Mentor and develop the team along a career path from junior to senior level.
- Mark up and approve photos.
- Interview and test potential retouchers and interns.
- Work closely with the other in-house studio teams and UK teams to offer support and streamline the workflow.
- Brought all retouching back in-house, expanded the team, and increased weekly targets within my first two months.
- Helped launch on-model retouching for The Outnet in May 2013 and editorial-style retouching for Net-A-Porter in July 2013.
February 2008 – present
- On-site retouching, prepress imaging, and proofing for various clients, including Lord & Taylor, Ralph Lauren, Macy’s, Gotham Inc., 4th Floor NY, and other studios.
- Off-site retouching and photo restoration for photographers, businesses, actors, models, authors, families, etc.
- Restored and retouched all 340 photos in the 2011 coffee table book Jersey Girls: The Fierce and the Fabulous, by Marie Moss and Barri Leiner Grant.
- Volunteer retoucher at careforsandy.org.
Senior Digital Imaging Specialist
Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia
June 2010 – June 2012
- Lead retoucher for MSLO’s flagship magazine Living, and solely responsible for retouching photos of Martha Stewart.
- Also retouched for MSLO’s other magazines (Martha Stewart Weddings, Whole Living, and Everyday Food), books, ads, and iPad digital magazines/apps.
- Communicated directly with Martha Stewart, art directors, creative directors, and production associates to manage and prioritize projects.
- Tested potential retouchers, trained new employees, profiled and calibrated monitors, and maintained proofers.
- Helped create iPad imaging and animation workflow in 2010.
- Helped streamline workflow to keep all retouching in-house, saving the department up to $100k each year.
August 2005 – February 2008
- Lead retoucher for Scholastic News, Choices, Scope, MATH, and Clifford magazines, plus educational posters and books.
- Profiled and calibrated monitors. Managed color for printing on various paper stocks.
- Communicated directly with art directors, editors, and production to manage projects.
- Helped set up in-house proofing in 2007.
Digital Imaging Technician
The Big Picture Inc.
October 2003 – August 2005
- Scanned and retouched images for large, high resolution output. Matched colors to clients’ specs.
- Specialized in wide-format inkjet printing, including banners, posters, vehicle wraps, retail displays, and billboards.
- Worked one-on-one with high profile clients, including Macy’s, Hearst, Lincoln Center, and Saks Fifth Avenue.
William Paterson University, Wayne, NJ. 1996-1997. Art major.